The Thinkergirls are getting to the bottom of famous wives tales.
How many can you get right without checking the answers??
- Hair of the dog cures what ails you.
- Women who spend lots of time together have in sync periods.
- A hot bath decreases the chance of conception in males.
- Heartburn in pregnancy means you’ll have a hairy baby.
- Does a full moon really change human behaviour?
- TRUE – A scientific study in 2007 found that ‘wet heat exposure’ – a hot bath or Jacuzzi/ spa – is a risk factor for long term male fertility.
- TRUE – Heartburn in the third trimester is due to extra estrogen in the female body – estrogen causes hair growth in babies.
- FALSE – A new scientific study – thought to be the largest of its kind – has found data showing women’s periods do not synchronise when they live together after all. Menstrual syncing is a myth up there with periods being tied to the waxing and waning of the moon.
- TRUE – Research has shown that consuming small doses of alcohol can actually relieve alcohol withdrawal symptoms. But a word of caution – easing the effects can increase dependency on alcohol creating a vicious cycle.
- FALSE – We experience two high and two low tides every day, and it has nothing to do with the phase of the Moon. In fact, your body experiences more gravity from your chair than it does from the Moon. If the motion of blood was somehow that reactive, should you step into a full elevator everyone would pass out with all the blood rushing to their extremities pulled by your gravity.
How many did you get right?